- Insurance Services
- Auto, Home & Personal Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Business Interruption Insurance
- Business Owners Package Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Property Insurance
- Commercial Umbrella Insurance
- General Liability Insurance
- Hotel & Motel Hospitality Insurance
- Professional Liability (E&O) Insurance
- Surety Bonds
- Workers' Compensation Insurance
- - View All Business
- Life & Health Insurance
- Group Benefits
- Policy Service
Article originally posted on www.erieinsurance.com(opens in new tab)Filed Under: Car Sense
Further Reading: Road Trip Tips
Planning your epic adventure? Check out these related road trip blogs:
- The Ultimate Guide: How to Plan a Road Trip Vacation
- 40 Road Trip Games and Activities
- 4 Brilliant Ways to Keep Kids Occupied on Road Trips
Before you hit the road, make sure your vehicle is up to the task. Here’s some good advice to know:
- What to Include in a Car Emergency Kit
- How to Jump-Start a Car
- How to Get Better Gas Mileage
- How Do I Get Roadside Service Coverage with My Auto Policy?
If you are planning a road trip this year, make sure you pack the right auto insurance along with your other essentials. With coverage from ERIE, it doesn’t matter if you’re taking an epic road trip or just around the bend: wherever you go, we’re right there with you.
To customize an auto policy that’s right for you, talk to your local ERIE insurance agent.
When asked about their own driving behaviors, nearly three-quarters of drivers (72%) admitted they sometimes or often speed. Another 62% said they sometimes or often drive while tired, and a very concerning 7% said they sometimes or often fall asleep at the wheel.
Drivers aged 25-44 seem the most tired, with 13% of them saying they sometimes or often fall asleep while driving.
When asked what most worries them about other drivers, the top 5 concerns were:
- Texting or talking on the phone while driving: 50%
- Road rage: 18%
- Speeding: 14%
- Tailgating: 12%
- Failing to yield: 3%
Social Media and Cell Phone Use While Driving
Significant percentages of drivers admit they use their cell phones while driving, including to access GPS (36%), to take or make calls (36% and 28%, respectively), or to check or reply to texts (26% and 17%, respectively).
A much smaller percentage (5%) admit to accessing social media while driving. Of those, their top 5 social media activities are:
- Scrolling through photos, posts, or other content: 89%
- Taking pictures: 37%
- Posting photos or videos: 26%
- Watching or shooting videos: 22%
- Commenting on other people’s photos or videos: 19%
Infographic: You’re Ready to Roll – But is Your Car?
Most drivers kept up with their vehicle’s maintenance during the pandemic, but one in five said they put off some of these tasks:
After the coronavirus pandemic struck the U.S. in 2020, vacations were canceled, traveling was banned, and many of us found ourselves stuck at home. But as summer 2021 approaches, more people are planning road trips and taking a vacation. According to a recent national survey by Erie Insurance, more than half of the respondents said they plan to take at least one road trip this year.
The survey also provided new insights about what drivers can expect to see on the road, including concerns about other drivers’ behaviors, their own habits when it comes to speeding and use of social media while driving, and the number of miles they’ll drive in a single road trip. The survey also found that while drivers may be road-ready, their cars may not be, as some put off vehicle maintenance during the pandemic.
A better insurance experience starts with ERIE.
Haven’t heard of us? Erie Insurance started with humble beginnings in 1925 with a mission to emphasize customer service above all else. Though we’ve grown to reach the Fortune 500 list, we still haven’t lost the human touch.
Contact Multiline Insurance Agency today to experience the ERIE difference for yourself.